How to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST File Format Using Three Methods
Summary: In this article, you will learn about three methods to export Office 365 mailbox to PST files. If you want to download your Microsoft 365 data to Outlook PST format without losing even a bit of it, then read this article till the end.
As we all know that Microsoft Office 365 application is one of the most widely used email clients at the enterprise level. This is because of its 24*7 accessibility from any device or location across the world.
Due to this feature, this email application is considered different and best from the rest of the email applications at the enterprise level. In this article, we will discuss three methods to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format as M365 does not allow any option of its own to export O365 emails in PST format.
Here, we will discuss various methods to download M365 to PST keeping the needs and constraints of every user in mind. If you are a technical user, then there are two methods by which you can easily export your M365 data without spending even a penny.
Why Do We Need to Download O365 Mailbox to PST Format?
Some of the reasons why users may wish to export their online Exchange Office 365 mailboxes in PST files are:
- Exporting Office 365 mailboxes in PST format allows users to open and view this data in their desktop-based Outlook application.
- Admins of Office 365 accounts would never want to lose their critical data in cyberattacks or in any other unforeseen situation. That is why they like to take the backup of their data in the PST format.
- Organizations often share crucial and confidential data over emails. Thus, companies need to backup the mailbox data of leaving employees for security reasons as well as for future use and reference.
- We all know that Office 365 subscription comes with a limited amount of free space on the server to save mailbox data. Saving data in the PST format allows users to free up that space from time to time, so they wouldn’t have to spend more money to buy more space or upgrade their subscription.
Because of all these reasons, users often look for a solution to export Office 365 mailbox to PST file format. Let us now discuss how we can carry out this migration by using both manual and automatic methods.
Best Ways to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST Format
There are three solutions available to download Office 365 emails to Outlook PST format, out of which the first two methods are manual and the third method is automatic software. In the first manual method, you need to work with the eDiscovery exporter tool and must possess technical knowledge. In the second manual method, you have to configure your Microsoft 365 account in Outlook email application after which you will export your data in PST files with the help of the Import/Export option. Let us now explain the step-by-step process of using these two methods.
#1: Download Office 365 Mailbox to PST Using eDiscovery
Microsoft does not provide any direct solution to export Office 365 mailbox data and other items to PST. Therefore, the only solution that remains is to use the eDiscovery Content Search. To use this method to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format, users must not only have some technical knowledge but also fulfill certain prerequisites:
Prerequisites to Use eDiscovery Export Tool Method
- Required Permissions from the Discovery Management Group
- Windows 7 OS or later to export the search results to Outlook PST.
- Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5 or later must be installed on the system.
- Recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer or another browser.
Steps to Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST format Using eDiscovery
- First of all, after signing in to your Office 365 account, you need to click the Microsoft 365 admin button.
- Hit Security and Compliance option in the admin center.
- Drag the Permissions option from the Security & Compliance menu to eDiscovery Manager.
Note: It is essential to be a part of the eDiscovery Manager role group in order to use certain eDiscovery permissions.
- Next, click the Edit button next to the eDiscovery Manager checkbox to add the required key responsibilities to the Discovery Management group.
- In general, the roles of Case Management, Compliance Search, Export, Hold, Preview, Review, and RMS Decrypt are assigned to the role group.
- If the role group doesn’t already exist, consider adding the export role by clicking Edit Role.
- Open the Microsoft Purview Portal by selecting More Resources from the menu and then select Content Search from the menu, then choose New Search.
Note: If the Content Search button is not enabled, check whether you have set up the eDiscovery permissions correctly. If done, it may take upto 24 hours for the change of eDiscovery permissions to take effect.
- You may personalize all aspects of the content search choices using the wizard that appears when you select New Search. The name and description of the search can be specified. You may select Office 365 mailbox data to export by selecting the second option, “Location.”
Note: The solution may take a long time to download Office 365 mailbox to PST format. You can also include SharePoint Online and Public Folders Database options in the search by clicking the relevant checkboxes.
- You now have access to the Conditions tab in the section of the search customization where you may apply a variety of filters, including those linked to time, message fields and characteristics, query language, and area.
Note: Don’t apply any criteria or keywords that will result in the export of the full mailbox’s contents.
- Once you have applied all the necessary options and criteria, you can close this window by clicking Done and then clicking the Submit button to launch your search right away.
- Now that the Search is running in the background, you may click the Search tab to see how your Search is progressing.
- You may quickly determine whether the search is finished on the following screen. If so, select Export Results from the drop-down menu after clicking the Actions button.
- If you wish to download encrypted files from this window, involve the Encrypted Files options. Additionally, you can alter the export outcomes. To prevent any misunderstandings, it is advised to download the findings with the default settings. Click the Export button after applying the all necessary settings.
Note: Do not choose Enable Deduplication if you wish to export Office 365 mailbox to Single PST file.
- The export procedure will begin right away. To check the status if it is finished or still in progress, go to the Export page and choose Search again.
- Once the export procedure is complete, select Download Results from the menu. Be careful to copy the special Export key because the next step’s “ClickOnce” extension will need it.
- As soon as you select Download Results, the eDiscovery Export Tool will launch immediately. To save the downloaded PST data to your system, you must enter the Export key and choose the target path and location. After filling out all the necessary information, click the Start button to export Office 365 mailbox to PST files.
Note: If you are using the eDiscovery PST Export Tool to export Office 365 mailbox to PST, then know that this tool supports Microsoft Edge browser only. If you are using another browser then you may face problems in content search in step 7. If you do not have a Microsoft Edge browser, you can also use Chrome or Firefox browser. But before using these browsers, you have to add an extension, there is a separate extension for both browsers.
What kind of Errors Users May Face While Using the eDiscovery Method?
Some common errors that users generally encounter while trying to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format by using the eDiscovery method are:
- If the size of your Office 365 mailbox size is very large and you use the eDiscovery tool to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format, then there is a possibility of the tool getting stuck in between or taking a very long time to complete the process.
- Sometimes, this tool stops at the time of data exporting and the application cannot be started again. This error means that your downloading process has failed, and now you have to perform the whole process again.
#2: Export Outlook 365 Mailbox to PST Using Import/Export Option
To download Office 365 mailbox to PST, you first need to connect your Office 365 account to Outlook this method. After the account configuration, you can export your O365 mailbox to PST from Outlook account.
Phase 1: Connect Office 365 Account to Outlook Desktop Application
You may have different versions of Outlook applications in your system to configure Office 365 accounts in Outlook desktop applications. We have mentioned the link to Microsoft sites below, by visiting which you can learn how to configure your Office 365 account in Outlook very easily.
Phase 2: How to Download Office 365 Data into PST Using Outlook Application?
If you have configured your Office 365 account in Outlook desktop application, then now is the time to learn how to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format. Let’s now discuss the step-by-step procedure to download Office 365 mailbox data to PST file format:
- Firstly, open the Outlook desktop application and click the File tab in the menu bar.
- After that, click the Open & Export option and then select the Import/Export option.
- Thereafter, Choose the Export to a File option and then tap the Next button.
- Now, select the Outlook Data File (.pst) option and then click the Next button.
- Choose your Office 365 account which you have already configured and then tap the Next button.
- Finally, select the Destination path and then click the Finish button.
- After completing all the steps, a pop-up message will open in which you have to enter your Office 355 account password.
#3: Export Office 365 Mailbox to PST Format Using Automatic Method
One of the most beneficial programs that can be used to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format is the 4n6 Office 365 Email Backup Tool. This software is flexible enough to adjust to the needs of both technical and non-technical users. The Office 365 to PST Export Tool allows users to export thousands of Office 365 mailboxes simultaneously to PST format. The simple and self-explanatory user interface of this program is one of its several unique features. It allows all types of users, irrespective of their technical knowledge, to use migrate their O365 data to PST easily.
In addition, the tool does not take much time in exporting your M365 mailbox to the PST format. To export all data, you just have to follow some easy steps.
Quick Steps for Downloading Outlook 365 Mailbox to PST Format
- Download, install, and run the Office 365 to PST Converter tool on your Windows-based machine.
- Now, choose the Add Account option from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the login credentials of your Microsoft 365 account and click the Add button.
- This software will load your mailboxes on the left panel. If you need to preview your O365 emails, double-click on the mailboxes.
- Now, click the Export tab and choose PST as the saving option.
- Check the folders, choose the destination path, enable the required filters, and click the Save button to begin the process.
- The application starts exporting Office 365 mailbox to PST format. This process will take only a few seconds to complete. After the completion of the process, click the Open Folder button to view the resultant file data.
Key Features of 4n6 Office 365 to PST Export Tool
- This application allows you to export Office 365 archive mailboxes to PST without the need for PowerShell permissions or eDiscovery Search content. It is totally automatic and trustworthy.
- The whole integrity of the output data, including To, Cc, Date, Time, Year, Subject, Attachments, Inline Images, Hyperlinks, and all others, is preserved by the Microsoft 365 to PST Export Software.
- This is an expert-recommended solution which ensures that zero data loss or corruption while exporting Office 365 shared mailboxes to PST files. When exporting an Office 365 shared mailbox to a PST file, experts never want to lose any important data.
- The Office 365 to PST Export tool also allows users to extract contacts from Office 365, email addresses, and email attachments in separate folders.
- The incredible application offers a thorough glimpse of Microsoft 365 data including all emails, headers, attachments, hex views, and other data.
In this article, we have discussed three methods to enable you to export Office 365 mailbox to PST format. Out of these methods, the manual ways are very complicated and error-prone. These methods require users to possess technical knowledge and a single mistake can cost you the loss/corruption of critical data. To avoid all this, we suggest you to use professional solution, 4n6 Office 365 Mailbox to PST Export Tool. This is a fully-automated solution that permits even non-technical users to quickly export their O365 mailboxes to PST without any issues or data loss.