How to Export Gmail Emails to MBOX?
Overview: In this article, we will guide you through the easiest methods to export Gmail emails to MBOX. Here, we will explain how Gmail exports emails to MBOX using Takeout and what the alternative ways to get the job done are. So, let’s start with this informative essay.
Gmail is Google’s email service that is very popular all over the world. From school student to working professions, everyone uses it because of the advanced and most useful functionalities compared to all other email services. Its revolutionary email search function, free storage capacity and integration with other Google services such as Google Docs, Drive and Calendar greatly attract users.
MBOX, on the other hand, is a file format widely supported by a wide range of email clients such as Thunderbird. These are offline files that can also be used to keep local copies of your Gmail emails. We’ve broken down some of the great benefits of choosing MBOX to keep Gmail emails locally; you can read them.
Why Should You Export Gmail to MBOX?
- Sometimes there are situations like insufficient storage space, data theft, or server failure, which prevent you from accessing important emails in Gmail. Having Gmail in MBOX as a backup can help you deal with such a situation.
- Keeping your Gmail emails in MBOX allows you to access them offline. MBOX are offline files and can be opened using an email client without an internet connection.
- MBOX files support cross-platform. You can open them on Windows as well as Mac. Hence exporting Gmail to MBOX will not make the system dependent on accessing emails.
These are the basic benefits of archiving Gmail emails into MBOX files. Now, let’s take a look at the basic methods one by one to export emails from Gmail to MBOX free.
How Do i Archive Gmail in MBOX?
There are two basic ways to export Gmail emails to MBOX. You can either use Google’s manual Takeout tool or the professional automatic tool. Both strategies are suitable for exporting big data but their applications are different.
We will explain both methods in detail step by step below. Please review them and decide which one is most suitable for you to get the job done.
Method 1: Export Gmail to MBOX with Google’s Takeout
- First; open Google Takeout using with the link https://myaccount.google.com.
- Then, move to the “Data and Privacy” option.
- Select “Download or delete your data” and then “Download your data“
- Now, you should deselect all and select only “Mail” option and then press Next.
- At last, select file type, frequency and destination and then create Export.
All of your Gmail mailboxes will now save in the MBOX format. This method is although good what have some drawbacks which you must review before using it.
Limitation of the Method
- This process can take a long time. The takeout itself says data export can take hours or days.
- You don’t get any option to transfer Gmail to MBOX with specific folders.
- The process may get hit by internet connectivity and may result in data loss.
- Due to Internet irregularities, the export may stop and you’ll need to repeat the process again.
Don’t worry about these drawbacks, we have a solution to overcome them. Please refer to the below method to export Gmail to MBOX without any hurdle.
Method 2: An Expert Way to Export Gmail Emails to MBOX
We have seen that manual solutions cannot satisfy the needs of all users. Therefore, a professional solution is required. 4n6 Gmail Backup Tool is the most reliable and instant method export emails from Gmail to MBOX. With the help of this tool, users can safely transfer all or specific Gmail labels into MBOX without any internet connectivity issue or losing information.
Additionally, when you archive Gmail in MBOX, this tool preserves all attributes. No modifications will be made to the HTML structure of Gmail emails. You can download the free version of this tool through the above button, but before that check its working process.
Steps to Transfer Emails from Gmail to MBOX Free
- Download, install and open the 4n6 software on your computer.
- Click the Open menu, and then Choose Add Account option from the list.
- Enter the login credentials of your Gmail account and click Add.
- This software will instantly load Gmail folders on the left panel.
- Now, click Export and choose MBOX as the file saving option.
- Check the required folders from the left panel, choose destination path, and click Save button.
The application starts exporting Gmail emails to MBOX format. You can see the live working status on your software screen. When the procedure is finished, you will get a notification indicating its completion.
That’s it! This is how to use the automatic tool to export Gmail to MBOX, which simply seems much easier than the manual method. This tool is feature-rich and provides you with many tools to get the desired result. Please learn more about this utility by referring to its features below.
Features of the Expert Software
- This tool works offline, so data export will not be interrupted due to internet connection.
- Software allows you to export Gmail emails to MBOX along with all headers attachments.
- This tool offers a simple user interface which is extremely easy to use and interactive.
- It allows you to select all or specific Gmail mailboxes to export in MBOX file format.
- You don’t need to install MBOX supportive application to perform the conversion process.
- During the data transfer from Gmail account to MBOX, this utility maintains all the properties.
- You can choose the required destination path where you need to save the resultant files.
- Also, this utility preview the Gmail emails in content, email headers, Hex and Raw modes.
- You can export Gmail to MBOX with this tool on Windows 11, Windows 10, and earlier edition.
In this article we have explained how to use Google Takeout and a specialized tool to export Gmail emails to MBOX. You should use Takeout tool if you have enough time and want to export complete data without selecting important one. On the other hand, if you want to quickly archive Gmail in MBOX while selecting the preferred emails, we suggest you use the professional software. You can review both the methods given to understand which one works best for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1) How to export Gmail to MBOX?
- Download, install and start the software.
- Add your Gmail account to the software.
- Click Export and select the MBOX file type.
- Select folders to export in MBOX and save.
Question 2) Can Google Takeout send selected emails from Gmail to MBOX?
No. With Google Takeout, you can transfer the entire Gmail data but not the selected data.
Question 3) Is it possible to transfer emails from Gmail inbox only to MBOX format?
Yes. You can export emails from your preferred Gmail mailbox to MBOX using 4n6 software.
Question 4) Can Gmail export bulk emails to MBOX format?
No. Gmail only allows you to export individual emails in EML files only. It cannot export Gmail emails to MBOX in bulk.